Saturday, April 14, 2012

Vogue 1250 Review


Here is a link to the pattern on the Vogue website.

When I first saw this dress I was not impressed, especially for a "designer" pattern.  I passed it by in the Vogue Patterns Magazine, and dog-eared many a page after! (That was a particularly exciting issue.)

I am a member of Pattern Review, and while I was looking up some of the other patterns I was interested in I stumbled across a review of this dress!  On first glance I was very impressed with the flattering fit on the Member, so I probed a little deeper; and I have to say that everyone whom has made this dress looks great in it! So, I put it on my list. I thought it would make a comfortable, and easy summer travel dress.

I happened upon some fun fabric on the sale table, and decided to make V1250.  I was torn between what size to make 12 or 14, so I did a paper fitting to try and determine how much ease is allowed. I was mainly concerned about the hip area (my hips are 40") which is a 14, but the pattern seems to run large, so I made the 12; and it fit great. The knit fabric I used had 30% stretch to it. This is  a little less than what the pattern called for.

The instructions were easy to follow and accurate. The total sewing time was probably about two hours.  There are not a lot of seams, which is great for fast sewing, but you really can't fit it after it is cut out because there are no side seams, that extend to the hem.

Hope you get a chance to sew this beauty.  I recently spent a week in Southern California, and this made a great swimsuit cover up.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly - I've made this dress several times - I think 4. I have worn it comfortably and not felt horribly self-conscious with my bigger than the bust hips. I think I'll end up making a few more versions. I love yours! g

    ReplyDelete